TRENTON, N.J. – Hawks Bridge Road overpass remains closed after a truck hauling an oversized forklift hit the overpass Feb. 21, causing severe structural damage. The closure is causing headaches for motorists that depend on this major thoroughfare to get into Pennsville and across the Delaware Memorial Bridge.
A stretch of Route 295 was closed after the accident, but opened to two-way traffic several days later after emergency repairs were completed.
Assemblywoman Bethanne McCarthy Patrick has been working closely with state Department of Transportation officials to ensure the needed repairs occur quickly and safely.
“I want everyone to know that I have fielded the calls and read the stories and sat in the nightmare traffic myself. My office is in constant contact with the DOT and urging them to make this a priority,” McCarthy Patrick (R-Salem) said. “I’m grateful Route 295 reopened as quickly as it did, but I know that’s not enough. School buses can’t get children to school on time. Peak commute times are a mess. Downtown Carneys Point businesses are suffering because of the detours. DOT is telling me it could take six months before the overpass is safe enough to reopen.”
Although the closure is affecting businesses and motorists all over the region, McCarthy Patrick knows the particular challenges faced by Pennsville residents and visitors.
“There are already so few roads that take you in and out of Pennsville. Route 140, Hawks Bridge Road, is the major one. My constituents use that to cross over the Delaware Memorial Bridge to get to hospitals in Delaware. So this situation is impacting the health and safety of so many,” McCarthy Patrick added. “I’m asking NJDOT to do everything possible to shorten that repair time.”
In the meantime, motorists should adhere to the following detours.
Route 140/Hawks Bridge Road westbound detour:
- Motorists on Route 140 westbound will be directed to take the ramp to I-295 northbound
- Take Exit 4 for Route 48/Salem Business Center/Carneys Point
- Turn left onto Route 48 westbound
- Continue on Route 48 westbound to Route 130;
- Take the ramp to I-295 southbound
- Take I-295 southbound to Exit 2C for Route 130/Deepwater
Route 140/Hawks Bridge Road eastbound detour:
- Motorists wishing to take Route 140/Hawks Bridge Road eastbound will be directed to take Route
- Turn right onto Route 48 eastbound/East Main Street
- Turn right onto CR551/South Pennsville Auburn Road
- Turn left onto Route 140/Hawks Bridge Road eastbound